Friday, November 1, 2013

Introducing our Teacher of the Month!


Introducing the beautiful Eileen! 
My interview with her was rather different, more question and answer based and below are some of her responses to the many questions I was so eager to get answers to. 




Hometown: Hauppauge, Long Island, NY

Childhood Ambition:  I dreamed of being a dancer ... than got practical, and since I loved animals and always had pets, I thought I'd become a vet, but then realized I'd never be able to operate on animals! 

First job:Like most girls I started baby sitting at age 12 or so... then got my first paycheck job as camp counselor at age 14. I had the 5 yr. old group, it was so fun and utterly exhausting!

First yoga class: NYHRC in the early 1990's

Favorite yoga pose and why: There are so many! each for it's own reason ...but when I think about it I'd have to say ustrasana (camel), i always seem to integrate it into my practice, it has such a sweet, expansive quality. 

Person who influenced me most: My grandfather, he was so good natured ... a truly kindhearted, loving and patient man.  There was a steadiness to him. He's been gone for 2 decades and he's still with me. 

Last book: I recently reread "A Path with Heart" by Jack Kornfield, a decade into trying to maintain a consistent meditation practice, I loved reading it again and understanding it from a different perspective.

How do you live your yoga? I read this quote by Richard Freeman recently "good teachers are not swayed by the changing phenomena of the world, the are able to rest completely silent and serene at the center of their own experience"  so beautiful ... a way of being that I've been trying to move towards as I age as a yogi and a teacher. I see others that live that way and it's inspiring.

Explain your journey that led you to become a yoga teacher at Devotion: Liza hired me as a sub when she first opened :)  and when I made the shift from corporate world to teaching for a living, she gave me steady classes on the schedule! ... she also opened the doors for me to offer Yin classes, and am so appreciative of that!!

What's playing on my ipod?  Lately, stories.  I've been podcasting it a lot.  Love the downloads from the MOTH radio hour ... also been tapping into talks from Dharma Seed. 

Retreat: First one:  1994 to Kripalu.  Favorite one: Koh samui, Thailand at Samahita Retreat Center.    Most 

Recent: Last spring at IMS, Barre, MA

Indulgence:  A massage!! Susanne Ziegler is my saviour!

Last purchase: a cute pair of flats for the fall :)

Biggest challenge: I am not at all good with long range planning!

Inspiration: I am continually humbled and inspired by the sincerity, spirit and dedication of students and teachers that share of themselves and the practice ... it truly is what accompanies me on my path. 

No comments:

Post a Comment